Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An aye for an 'eye'

So it's doubtful that you just stumbled upon this blog as you were traipsing through the blogosphere; consequently there is a good chance you have some idea of what it's about.

Short story: My goal is to help my sister help her husband win a video contest from Hoopes vision for free Lasik. If that's all you needed to know the link's tagged below click through and vote.

Need more? All the better. Now if you know my sister and my brother-in-law and there's a good chance you do (if you don't this blog will change that) you'll know that he is not extraordinarily needy. In fact he would be the first to admit that on the contrary he and his family are extraordinarily blessed. Not blessed monetarily in such a way that he could just write out a check to pay for a luxury procedure like Lasik but unlike many with a much larger bank account he's married to a woman whose creativity matches her thoughtfulness in thinking of one way that she could make her man's life a little easier. And she's the kind of wife that will put that thought into action in way that harnesses the resources that she does have namely ingenuity and hardwork in the attempt to make what has been a dream for a while into a reality.

In every way, I can unequivocally say or I wouldn't be saying it into the vast space of the interwebs that they are deserving of the prize. The movie is, well if you haven't yet you soon will see, a perfect fit for the contest--Funny and well constructed. Humbly, the best, even when I try to look at the competition without the obviously inherent bias. If you were going to vote just because you like me, he or she, we're flattered (and think that's pretty good reasoning ;). But if you want to hold out, size us up against the competition and then vote, please do. We're confident you'll still pick us.

If you like the movie or us enough to do the same thing tomorrow we'll be no less appreciative than we are today and if you keep doing it until the 28th, the same X18 and if you help us spread the word and convince those within your shadow of influence to follow your lead we'll bake you cookies.

If it helps you remember/encourages you to come back and vote again, I'll be writing something worth reading every day till then so please come back or set up an RRS feed to follow the blog that way. You hopefully wont be disappointed and likely walk away with 18 more reasons to want Ryan to see how blessed he is with 20/20 vision, Rachel to see her good work as a wife and best friend knock it out of the park once again, and their girls the chance to see if Dad's glasses will blend.

What's in it for me? Well as the parent of a first child whose world was just altered by a younger sibling I'm gaining a new perspective on what I owe to the 'first born'. Much, even beyond my awareness, has been given and given up, because that's what big sisters do. I've been given a chance to try to cut the headstart big sis' had by doing what I can to help out for 18 days. 18 days for 26 years is a bargain by any measure.

I haven't got 5,000 dollars to fix Ryan's eyeballs but I've been told that I can write. Rachel's been on my case for years to do something with it, so I would guess me finally starting in a way that benefits her and hers is only fair. Who knows? With some luck and your support, I might enjoy it enough to do something nice for your big sister next. Let's talk about that later.

Here's what you do.

Click on the link below that will take you to the Hoopes Vision video contest.

http://contest.hoopesvision.com/finalists.html

If you must, watch the videos to see who wins your vote in each of the three categories. The video your subconscious wants you to vote for is titled 'My Dad's Eyes' and it's under the humorous category. When you're ready to step into the ballot box and vote, click on the big white box that says 'Vote for your favorite finalist video'.

You'll need to make a selection in each of the three categories but I can only help you answer the question of who to vote for under the humorous category; again you're looking for 'My Dad's Eyes.' For the other two categories take a random swing or watch the videos to find your favorite. You'll also need to list your email to verify that only one person is voting from your IP address(pardon the tech jargon) per day.

After hopefully giving us an 'aye' for Ryan's eye(well both of them actually...I've heard you get used to the puns) Take a deep cleansing breath and think 'I am a very generous person' and enjoy the boost of self-esteem this small good deed should give you for the rest of the day. Come back tomorrow and do it again. We'll be waiting.

Thanks in advance, Friends.

Judson Hart

No comments: