Friday, December 24, 2010

Daily Read #38: Santa's Bag of Books

Did you miss me? Probably the hustle and bustle of the holiday hasn't left you much time to visit as it hasn't left me much time to write. But never fear we'll both get caught up as there is much to say, good reads to be read and good deeds to be doned.

If you've been following us for long enough you'll know that we just completed our second Good Reads Mission. It's hard to say if we were even more successful the second time around. Giving the gift of sight is a pretty high bar, but I think we did quite admirable nonetheless.

As a recap, our mission was to raise money for books for families that are part of the Sub for Santa program. They might not be the most glamorous gift but you'd be hard pressed to convince me there was a better way for a Christmas present to have a lasting impact on a child than giving them a book. [If you have a real problem with the money going to something as 'boring' as books start your own blog next year maybe you could call it WiiWiiWii all the way home:]

So the grand total of money raised via good reads was:

........Drum Roll........

or if you are the little drummer boy:

pahrumpabumbum rumpabumbum

$345.91

That's a lot of books. Unless one of them is a first edition Great Expectations...but it's not.

Special thanks to all of our donors all of whom inspired me with their generosity. I know how quickly a budget can be maxed out this time of year and so for you to find a way to put any amount to this very worthwhile additional cause is commendable to say the least.

I hope you thought it was worth it.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on how and where the money went.

For now the plan is to surprise our families with bundles of books on the 28th of December. This was done strategically for a couple of reasons.

  1. Any kid is going to think that a Nintendo DSi is better than Pippi Longstocking. But given a few days a second helping of Santa is going to pretty exciting.
  2. Money goes further when it's not spent at the last minute. We've been able to expand the area we're spreading joy to by ordering the books on line and not trying to get them here before the 24th.
  3. Santa has all year to get ready for the big day, I didn't realize how much time it takes to try and fill his shoes and we only had a week.
  4. Other Countries don't try to cram Christmas into a single morning. Think Deutschland rumor has it they have 1st day of Christmas, 2nd day of Christmas and 3rd day of Christmas.
  5. This will maximize the number of posts I can make without having to divulge further embarrassing stories of myself.

I'll keep you posted with prose and pics about the culmination of this very good deed. Also stay tuned in: Good Deed #3 is coming right up. As well as some backblogging for the daily reads missed while I was over the river and through the woods.

Merry Christmas Alles.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Thanks Judson for letting us be part of goodreads. I know a little about your schedule and know that you squeeze this in amid a long list of 'to do's'. Merry Christmas. I know I will be doing some reading in the next week.