Friday, November 26, 2010

Daily Read #16: 'C' How they Run.

Well if you are reading this you have two things to be grateful for 1) you are not in Walmart trying to get a dolphin pillow pet, and 2)you are not in Walmart trying to a dolphin pillow pet.

If you already braved the crowds and the freezing temperatures in addition to society's unbridled consumerism to save 40% on your christmas cheer, you have my respect but not my envy. It is eight degrees warmer here than it was at this time yesterday but I won't say that makes me feel much more like going out.

So while you are enjoying your warm house or the warm (or semi-warm:) house of your inlaws. Click with a purpose: Vote for Ryan: My Dad's Eyes
And send other people to do the same.

Now that turkey day has passed many of us will turn our attention from wishbones to waistbands. There is nothing like winning the family's Pound Challenge to make you feel like you need to get outside and get moving. When you can move again.

Perhaps you did what I used* to do on T-day *[put that 'used to' in a much larger font, underline it several times, make it an eye popping color that flashes] . I would go for a run and purposefully try to get lost (not a difficult goal to accomplish) I would then usually break my PR for longest run. My longest was 96 minutes and I think that about compensated for looking at my family's typical Thanksgiving day spread.

I can't say that I'm to the point as a former runner that I'm at as a former boyscout. But I definitely do not say, 'I run' if asked what my hobbies are. I try to prevent as much conversational irony as possible. If pressed I might say 'I have ran. The forest service made me quit when the sparks from between my thighs started a forest fire. '

Actually Running in our family is just slightly less important than never serving a vegetable that in most countries wouldn't qualify as a dessert. In our immediate family, there are 3 collegiate runners and then several more that could have ran in college [had we gone to a much much much smaller university like Stevens Henager].

Our family's motto has been 'The family that runs together stays together'. Now it's probably more something like 'The family that watches Everybody loves Raymond together stays together*[until mom quits bringing around treats] but that's not relavant.

We'd fill several teams each year in the Utah Summer Games Family cross country event and came away with enough gold medals that Michael Phelps didn't really impress us. We had an A team, a B team and a C team. Now the C team stood for 'C them run' C'heer them on, but we couldn't have done much without them.

Rachel spent most of her life on the C team. We all thought she could have ran but particularly in High school she was far too self-conscious to lace up her racers. I think we can credit Ryan for being the wind beneath her wings. Also helping her was the BBS research that led her to discover the 'Shock Absorber' a training bra developed using the same technology as anti-sesmic devices in the foundation of tall buildings and the most essential piece of training gear a full chested woman could buy.

Now Rachel can boast not only of being a runner but also a half-marathoner. As the below video proves she successfully compeleted a half-marathon in Vermont last year. Even more impressive was her Kerri Strug-like performance of finishing the last 5 miles on a bum foot. We were all very proud of our big sister. Not just for finishing the race but for not being afraid of starting it in the first place and for doing it with the same amount of grace, class, humor and determination that she does everything else with.

Rachel has shown that you should never fear re-invention of your self. You can be what you've always wanted to be and you can do what you never thought you could. With the right attitude and the right support system (which may include the right sports bra), the race is half run.

So before you put up the Christmas lights: watch Rachel's marathon journey.



Before you fall off the roof putting up the Christmas lights.
Vote for Ryan: My Dad's Eyes


Please, Please Please help us get out the vote this weekend. We'd like to finish with a kick. Make us your facebook status, blog about us, twitter, text or telegraph your friends family or strangers.
Send 'em here, send them directly to vote.

We are grateful to you for wielding the power of your personal influence on our behalf.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Judson, I think you need to substitute 'sports bra' for the words 'training bra'...there is a 'big' difference.

The 1/2 marathon was so fun in Vermont. Spoken as the only non runner in our family...now.

Thanks for posting. Mom