Saturday, November 27, 2010

Daily Read #17: Swimming with 'Barbarians'

Vote now before I forever hold my peace.

My undergraduate degree was in Asian Studies, which I bring up mainly just so I can say I've used it:) Now I'm just being facetious. There is a lot you can do with an Asian Studies BA.

Besides being able to put it in a very nice frame or use on an application for grad school, my degree has given me a lot of practical everyday knowledge too. Like I can use chopsticks; I know which country started Hello Kitty, I get the whole bowing thing; I know why a Korean should never buy a Japanese car, I can quickly pair an Asian script (and usually face) to the right country. I'll keep going but I don't want to make those of you out there with silly degrees like accounting or nursing to feel bad.

My reason for this personal confession of a lack of judgment when it comes to academic utility is to explain why I'm going to start this post with the explanation that the Chinese (atleast during traditional times) would label their inlaws with a term that translates to 'Barbarians'. While some of you might think this is a completely appropriate label for your inlaws I should preface it by saying that it wasn't 'Barbarians' in the sense of Conan the Barbarian or even a lack of all culture or manners.

The reference 'Barbarian' was used to express the reality that the family that you marry into is likely going to have a whole different way of living than the one you grew up in. Raise your hand* if this is true for you. *[Okay put your hand down while hoping you're alone in the room with your computer because it's kind of embarrassing to do exactly what I tell you to do when I can't see you.] Likely though if you couldn't have raised your hand it means one of two things. 1). You aren't married yet or 2). You married your cousin.* *[Speaking of, did anyone else have someone bring genealogical records to their wedding reception to show how you the happy couple were not so distantly related? Not that that happened to me].

Take for example my in-laws are outdoors enthusiasts. [Like other communicable diseases, I try to avoid enthusiasm] I mean I don't mind the outdoors if the weather's nice and I have to park my car a few stalls away from the door, I'm not going to complain. I think that I just don't have very discriminating vision when it comes to nature. I mean I can tell the difference between a Japanese and Chinese businessman but a mountain is a mountain is a mountain.

My 'Barbarian' moment was when on a family vacation with my in-laws naturally to a National Park. We pulled off at a lake, people got out of the car and started rummaging through their luggage for their swimsuits. Now it was July so it was a little hot, but I was more than a little uncomfortable with the idea. 'So we're just going to get in the lake?' 'Don't they need to clean it first?' 'What are we going to do once we are in the lake?'

I got in the lake. Splash Splash Splash. The water was cool I'll give you that much. Can't say it was relaxing. Have you ever stood in water and tried not to let the water touch you? Yeah it was kind of like that. But it was a new and novel experience. Who knew you could actually go jump in a lake?

All in all marrying into my wife's family has been a wonderful expansion of my life's experiences. Take just yesterday my brother in law taught me how to 'skate ski'. Those who know me best will know that I can't chew gum and walk at the same time, so combining the art of skating and skiing is a recipe to reach my insurance deductible. [It's a good thing my wife is a nurse].

But do you know what? I liked it and even more surprising I was pretty good* at it. *[This is of course a relative description. Let's leave it at saying it's a good thing that squirrels don't have cell phones or I would be a Youtube superstar with a 'Greatest wrecks' montage set to a Chumbawumba hit].

As the oldest Rachel was the first to go over to the barbarians and from everything I've seen she's been just as great as Ryan has about welcoming the challenge of discovering the new and exciting opportunities to learn and laugh with [and maybe later at ;] a new family.

The Palmer's are great people. In addition to giving us a great brother-in-law you can tell that they have a great role in in keeping Ryan and Rachel's family well cared for. Ryan's dad willing lends his expertise when it comes to maintenance projects like putting in an electrical outlet in the bathroom. [Yes there are houses without this luxury upgrade]. Ryan's mom will gladly take the kids which has let Rachel and Ryan get away for some R & R time. *[A tip for grandparents out there looking for more grandkids, parents who occasionally spend time without their kids will be much more likely to have more]. Rachel and Ryan's girls all adore all their Palmer uncles and aunts. Maintaining my distinction as 'favorite' uncle has certainly been a challenge but even if I were to lose it* I'd take comfort that I was losing to some pretty great competition.

They say that 'flattery' is poison so I'll stop, but in word, Thanks Palmers for being Palmers. We think that's reason enough to like you even if you are 'Barbarians'. Thanks for sharing your brother. Thanks for learning to love my sister. Thanks for everything in between.

Tell your in-laws you love them [or atleast like them] and keep an open mind and your swimtrucks handy because you never know when they're going to have you do more than just see sea shells by the sea shore.

Now let's fix one of the few flaws passed to him from his family tree.
Vote for Ryan Palmer to recieve Lasik by voting for My Dad's Eyes to win the Hoopes Vision video contest.

Vote Now
Vote Tomorrow.


Get your people to do the same!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love my in-laws. They're great! Completely different from my family, but wonderful. For example, on Thanksgiving it's a tradition for the Palmers to go shooting. This year we took it one step further and created our own targets out of milk cartons that we painted brown, attached paper feathers and eyeballs. We ended up with really cute turkey targets. However, really cute turkey targets don't really 'do it' for Palmers, so we filled them with Red Kool-aid. Which made for some interesting (dare I say hilarious) explosions when they were shot. So maybe there is some truth about the whole inlaws = barbarian thing you were talking about. Oh wait, the red kool-aid was my idea.


Good Read today brother.

grandma said...

We love Rachel. She is so easy to love and she has brought a lot of fun and enjoyable idea to our family. Thanks Rachel for being so good to Ryan and for the great granddaughters.