Sunday, December 12, 2010

Good Read #30: Ring out Wild...Unaccompanied Voices?

This is my first post to "Good Reads for Good Deeds"--thanks to Judson for letting me come aboard. I thought I'd devote my first entry to one of my favorite parts of Christmas: music.

When we arrived at our little hospital branch chapel this morning we found that our old, worn carpet had been replaced with a snazzy new gray and brown weave. Unfortunately, in the process of switching out the carpet the organ had somehow been unplugged/broken/killed. We never quite figured out how the music died, but we never got the organ to work.

I've occasionally conducted the music in church (who doesn't want to see a tall guy in a bow tie wave their arms around?) and the branch president asked me if I could pick out some hymns to sing a capella. Yikes. I decided that our lack of accompaniment was the perfect opportunity to test our congregation's Christmas carol confidence.

I'm here to tell you that while we weren't awarded a grammy, "Away in a Manger," "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," and "The First Noel" sounded beautiful. There's something magical and wonderful about people--lay people, untrained people, confused and lost people--joining their voices together to sing a song about "Peace on earth and mercy mild."

I remembered afterwards that the Puritans didn't use music in their services, and they may have done away with hymnals all together. While I think we'd be in trouble come New Year's, singing from memory and from the heart without the crutch of the organ was pretty special.

I'll close with this video that some of you may have seen. It's been making the internet-rounds, but is a good one. I think things like this should happen more often:




2 comments:

Judson Hart said...

Andy, Have you forgotten that this does happen daily? At the Cougareat.

Choirs of Angels attending those with Dining Plus.

I do think that we need to do a good reads flash mob. Any suggestions?

Grandma said...

Okay, I just got home from the Messiah here in Cedar City Utah, a long time running tradition. I never can get enough of the Hallelujah Chorus so thank you. I may decide to have a continuous loop made. I loved this. Thanks, Andy, enjoyed your post.